Twitter

Monday 9 March 2015

What We Learnt From Daydreaming About Books

Our New Logo - Books And Stuff
Exciting things are on the way, for us and me. Wait and see, bookish plans have we!

For now, I have been thinking about books and what they can make us feel. This bout of introspection has been brought on partly due to the plans I have been making (or thinking about making) and partly due to my obsession with Twitter and Pinterest. In between reading actual books in my actual life, I love thinking about what my #bookadayuk answers will be on Twitter each day, and poring over hundreds of Pinterest images like a magpie hoarding trinkets.



This may sound pathetic (I do have a boyfriend, honest) but reading other peoples ramblings and noticing their pins is like getting a sneaky glimpse into their brains, and thinking about my bookish history and how each page made me feel is like getting a glimpse into the hidden parts of my own brain.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Bookish memories I forgot that I had:


  • My Nan saving up tokens from Weetabix packets to get 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and 'James and the Giant Peach' for me and my cousin. And being disappointed that I got the latter (what a fool I was). 
    • Reading 'The Bell Jar' for the first time and thinking it was the only book I ever read to completely live up to its hype. I loved the food scenes (as I always do in books) despite the food poisoning that followed:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             "None of our magazine editors or the Ladies' Day staff members sat anywhere near me, and Betsy seemed sweet and friendly, she didn't even seem to like the caviar, so I grew more and more confident. When I finished my first plate of cold chicken and caviar, I laid out another. Then I tackled the avocado and crabmeat salad. Avocados are my favourite fruit. Every Sunday my grandfather used to bring me an avocado pear hidden at the bottom of his briefcase under six soiled shirts and the Sunday comics. He taught me how to eat avocados by melting grape jelly and French dressing together in a saucepan and filling the cup of the pear with the garnet sauce. I flt homesick for that sauce. The crabmeat tasted bland in comparison"
    • Realising I prefer Captain John Yossarian as a leading man, to John Thornton or Mr. Darcy.                                                  "There was a much lower death rate inside the hospital"                  
    • Sometimes the film is better. Really. Kes is better than the book - of that I am sure. You can't write accents like that, and you can't write a football scene that funny.
    • The Harry Potter books are for children, and I was a child when the first was released - they were written for me, and they were life changing. I adore J. K. Rowling and everything she does. 
    So, books are the best. Not that you needed telling. Although apparently I do judge them by their covers sometimes - see my Pinterest board


    Book Covers - I feel like Homer with a box of Doughnuts

    No comments:

    Post a Comment