Twitter

Friday 30 May 2014

A List of Books to Make You Feel......Something.

01

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas
I have read reviews of this book and apparently it is a little 'marmite' for some peoples taste. I can't imagine anyone who genuinely loves literature and is interested in science, nature, fantasy, adventure, escapism and realism being written about in an original way, wouldn't take a lot away from this book. Mostly, I think the author just speaks to my soul, as I have loved everything she has written. It is like reading my own diary, in a world where my life is extremely interesting. 


02

The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
I am not a fan of 'chick-lit' and I am not a fan of fantasy when it is not rooted in reality and, despite what the blurb of this book may lead you to believe, this book is neither of these things. This books makes you cry for every person you have ever lost and every person you will inevitably lose, and yet makes you feel warm and comfortable with these things, as they are all inevitable. Beautiful, warm and painful.

03

IQ84 by Haruki Murakami
I could not be a bigger fan of Murakami and this, one of his more recent book(s) is my favourite. Unlike most books translated to English from the authors original language, I feel that the translation aids my immersion into the world's created in all of Murakami's books. The oddness of the way the characters speak and the formality of the prose lend themselves to the oddness of this book; an expansive, epic tale in wonderland. 

04

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Perfection. See my first review - http://warmvellumbookblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/my-favourite-book-as-my-first-review.html  

05

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
This is technically a children's book, however a well written novel is a well written novel and, whilst I adore everything by Neil Gaiman, it was this book that hit me like a ton of bricks. A disturbingly modern 'Alice in Wonderland' with hidden depth.

06

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
I find if easy to get lost in Austen under almost any circumstance, but there is something special about this one. An underrated satire that is both old fashioned and current at the same time, and leaves me wanting to have a massive Jane Austen binge with a huge smile on my face.


07

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
The obvious choice as a Hemingway mention, but I don't believe you can possibly have list of books that make you emote, without including this simple story. The book is about nothing and yet about everything. It will take you half an hour to read but leave you feeling like you have ran a marathon. 


08

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
Another short yet perfect read. This is as much a parable as it is a book, and is like yoga in book form. Just drink it in and forget about all the pointless chatter surrounding you.


09

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
A true original. The book is both a fascinating adventure story and a discussion about the state of the world. A book to change your life. 


10

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
Not 'just a fantasy novel', and not 'the book of the film ' - it is the ideal adventure, the adventure story on which all others are based. It is exciting, thrilling, escapism, and I re-read it annually to make me feel as warm and happy as a roaring fire on a cold day.

2 comments:

  1. Well I have read three of these, so not bad. This is a great list and I appreciate you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I can't recommend each one enough, and reading is nothing if not personal right?

      Delete